Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Looks like an online dating scam - My name is lidan, i'm 29 y.o. woman, my zodiac sign is Aquarius

Whilst editing a post on http://en.gimeney.net/ a few women looked at my profile and I had a wink from one and this e-mail from Lidan. I suspected that it was a scam and it would seem that I was right as both the profile, letter and who has looked at my profile when I went back to the site today. Someone must have complained

[13:43, 27/06/10; ] lidan:

dear j i am very interested in you,can we become friends? this is my email lidan120123@yahoo.cn, can you tell me yours?

ID:

My name is lidan, i'm 29 y.o. woman, my zodiac sign is Aquarius. height: 169 cm. (5' 6"); weight: 52 kg. (114 lbs.); My native language is Chinese, but i also speak English.


I'm living in China, Beijing, Beijing Related links: China singles, Beijing personals, Beijing dating I'm not ready to move other city; I'm not ready to move other country;

I'm seeking for a man
  • must know Chinese or English.


Ethnicity:

Asian (Asian personals)

Religion:

Christian (Christian dating



If it is an independent scammer the photos could be stolen. If it is an agency they could be genuine, but you do not know if you are writing to the girl of a translator

Scenario - Probably the scammer (more than likely a male) is following the visitors as they come on line, having posted the profile with some photos of a lady too good to be true in advance. When a mark appears he sends them a message similar to the one above. It could be an individual or an agency looking to find victims for their translation services! Even on the free dating sites you must be wary, but on Gimeney they do not stand any nonsence from scammers. Having fallen for the uadreams.com translating operation I am very very wary and in any case after this very bad experience would not engage in a long distance relationship again.

Example - http://en.gimeney.net/forum/messages.cdiml?topic=1793 to see comments

From Matt to everyone в 12:41, 13/06/10

I believe the following profiles will try to bait members here to sign up with http://www.uadreams.com:

ID: 256940
My name is Alena, i'm 20 y.o. woman, my zodiac sign is Gemini.
Athletic build; height: 165 cm. (5' 4" ; weight: 43 kg. (94 lbs.);
My native language is Russian, but i also speak English and Ukrainian.

and

ID: 318513
My name is IAna, i'm 19 y.o. woman, my zodiac sign is Aquarius.
Athletic build; height: 163 cm. (5' 4" ; weight: 50 kg. (110 lbs.);
My native language is Ukrainian, but i also speak English, Polish and Russian.

I can confirm from personal experience that Alena told me that her English wasn't so good and for ease of translation she wanted to send me a link to another site where she was a member, which would facilitate communication for her. Turned out I received an invitation to UA Dreams. But...at least the English language communication I received from her on UA Dreams is much better.

As for Iana, I noticed her profile on UA Dreams, too, and when questioning her on Gimeney as to her presence on UA Dreams of course I did not receive a reply.

UA Dreams tries to get its members to pay for outgoing correspondence, receiving pictures from ladies, video chat etc. I have little confidence in whether or not the correspondence is actually with the ladies or with some translator only. They tend to sandbag you when proposing Skype or other means of communication. That much I discovered with the three or five free letters they allow new members.

No comments: